[Mageia-dev] Suggestion-Locales management for One (or Live) Cd releases

You-Cheng Hsieh yochenhsieh at gmail.com
Thu Nov 25 07:38:33 CET 2010

2010/10/25 atilla ontas <tarakbumba at gmail.com>:
> 2010/10/25 Wolfgang Bornath <molch.b at googlemail.com>:
>> 2010/10/25 atilla ontas <tarakbumba at gmail.com>:
>>>
>>> 3- A dialog popup appears and asks if he/she wans to select language
>>> 4- If an active internet connection detected  notifies users that
>>> selected languge will downloaded from net otherwise user use live
>>> system in English.
>>
>> This is not a good idea.
>>
>> Whatever installation method you use, it has to be available in the
>> user's language, otherwise he will not install.
>>
>> Besides, this is a no-go for the live CD as a demo asset. How could a
>> user evaluate Mageia when he doesn't understand the language because
>> there is only WiFI around at the moment he has time to look at the CD?
>>
>> --
>> wobo
>>

> I don' t agree, sorry. Live CDs are not demo assets for most of the
> people other than europe or america. Their relatively small size and
> installation capability make them an installation media for limited
> internet users. Most people do not want to install a DVD.

Hello,
I'm from Taiwan and agreed with your point that most people, usually,
do not want to install a DVD. However, because of that reason, we need
the localized Live CD more because it's very useful for those who have
no internet connection at all during installation. It's very important
that only Mandriva has provided Live-CD that includes full Chinese
(Simplified and Traditional) DE. For Ubuntu, SuSE, it would require
additional time to configure internet connection, download extra
language packages to have a working DE with local language, while for
Mandriva we only need just one disc and intall it.

I also want to suggest if you would like to discuss this topic in
Mageia-i18n, there might be people who want to provide their opinion
but didn't subscribe Mageia-dev list.

Regards,

You-Cheng Hsieh