[Mageia-dev] Mirror layout, round two

Romain d'Alverny rdalverny at gmail.com
Sat Nov 27 00:51:59 CET 2010

On Sat, Nov 27, 2010 at 00:44, Maarten Vanraes
<maarten.vanraes at gmail.com> wrote:
> Op zaterdag 27 november 2010 00:25:17 schreef Thomas Backlund:
> [...]
>> > A) i see no reason for codecs and firmware to be separate. However, i do
>> > understand that some people would not want to install firmware, but i
>> > think we should do this in another way, (like installing a meta package
>> > that enforces some limits.)
>> > codecs seem odd to be separate, if they have patented problems they
>> > should go in non_free, if no problem, they can go in core.
>>
>> That is doable.
>> The reason for having it separate was because its the most "problematic"
>> one. (codecs have more issues than firmware)
>
> What i meant here, is why is firmware separate from core? why is codecs
> separate from core?
>
> imo, i would put firmware and codecs in either core or non_free.

I guess we should separate concerns?
 - non_free as in "not (really) free software" (source code may be
available, but license, redistribution conditions, etc.)
 - problematic stuff as in "binary closed thing" (most firmware, but
not only eventually)
 - problematic stuff as in "(likely) patented" (some codecs)

so that we don't mix issues when one has to decide what to mirror/use or not.

Romain