[Mageia-dev] Mirror layout, round two

Jerome Quelin jquelin at gmail.com
Sat Nov 27 18:11:36 CET 2010

On 10/11/27 17:59 +0100, Maarten Vanraes wrote:
> i agree, the less repositories the easier it'll be.
>
> however, core is for all the "maintained" packages, extra is for the
> unmaintained packages that build ok.

what is a "maintained" package? no maintainer, no commits since x
months, not buildable? what if we move to packages being maintained by
foopkg at packages.mageia.org aliases?

what are the rules to move a package from extra to core, and vice-versa?
who can do it? will it be done automatically? will this imply a rebuild
for the package?

what are the dependency rules? can a core package depend on an extra
package? or with a buildrequires?

and, more importantly: what is the advantage? that is, what does that
bring you, except more admin?

sorry, consider me not impressed by this idea. or maybe it's just that i
failed to see the benefits. please enlighten me.

jérôme
jquelin at gmail.com