[Mageia-dev] Mirror layout, round two

Olivier Thauvin nanardon at nanardon.zarb.org
Mon Nov 29 01:45:35 CET 2010

* Renaud MICHEL (r.h.michel+mageia at gmail.com) wrote:
> On samedi 27 novembre 2010 at 00:02, Maarten Vanraes wrote :
> If the files are identical, they can be hard linked, and then the mirrors
> updates them with rsync -aH.
> (by the way, the readme already ask for those options
> http://distrib-coffee.ipsl.jussieu.fr/pub/linux/Mageia/mirror.readme )
> It is quite easy to make a script that will make those hard links "à
> posteriori" (you only need to compare files with identical names)

If you compare only the filename you'll probably link different file. To
do this you need at least to compare also the size.
But even if you take into account the size nothing warranty file are
really the same. Think to md5sum files, an md5 has fixed size and
filename will probably also have same lenght.

I did a script to do this, this script check the md5 of
files before linking them to avoid mistake.

BTW: I am not sure rsync fix hard link afterward.

--

Olivier Thauvin
CNRS  -  LATMOS