[Mageia-dev] Mirror layout, round two

nicolas vigier boklm at mars-attacks.org
Mon Nov 29 20:25:04 CET 2010

On Mon, 29 Nov 2010, andre999 wrote:

> The idea is not that the Mageia community would not support "extra"
> packages.
> It is just that if an "extra" package breaks, it shouldn't break a user's
> system.
> But if a "core" package breaks, we would expect that it would break many
> users' systems.
> Thus the priority to ensure that "core" packages are always fixed in a
> timely manner.

I don't think we need repositories to define bug priorities. If a
package break the system, the bug report should mention it. And we can
also have minor bugs in "core" packages not breaking anything. Should
we fix them in a timely manner, before any critical bug on "extra"
packages breaking useful applications ?

>>   - Some packages can have a different support time. On Mandriva, "Base
>>     system&  components" was supported longer, but it was not clear which
>>     packages were part of this.
>>
> Core is proposed to be largely "base system & components".  Part of the
> idea is to make clearer, to everyone, which packages have an enhanced level
> of support.
> Support time is another (useful) question.

Why do we need two repositories for that ?

>>   - Some packages have a lot of optional plugins, and we build them all,
>>     adding a lot of build requires. With main/contrib separation we need
>>     to add all the build dependencies to main, even if most of them are
>>     not runtime dependencies.
>>

> We will have to be more selective for core packages, to avoid this problem.
> Maybe "suggests", or other features being added with rpm5.

Suggests on BuildRequires does not exists. And we need them to be
installed for the build.