[Mageia-dev] Mirror layout, round two

Daniel Kreuter daniel.kreuter85 at googlemail.com
Tue Nov 30 12:23:35 CET 2010

2010/11/30 Thomas Backlund <tmb at iki.fi>

> * core
>  - enabled by default
>  - mirrors must mirror this media to be listed as a mirror
>  - only free/libre stuff as described by FSF / OSI
>  - must be selfcontained
>
> * nonfree
>  - disabled by default, installer will ask to enable it if
>    it detects hw that need driver/fw from here
>  - mirrors must mirror this media to be listed as a mirror
>  - contains apps/drivers/firmware that are free to redistribute
>    but we dont have redistributable source for
>  - for example: ati/nvidia drivers/firmware, Oracle Java,
>    Adobe stuff we might get redistribution permission for
>
> * tainted
>  - disabled by default
>  - mirrors are free to not mirror this media ( ? )
>  - stuff we think we can redistribute, but that may have some
>    patent issues or other legal restrictions
>  - what belongs / is allowed here must still be discussed
>
> * debug_core
>  - disabled by default
>  - debug rpms for core
>
> * debug_nonfree
>  - disabled by default
>  - debug rpms for nonfree
>
> * debug_tainted
>  - disabled by default
>  - debug rpms for tainted
>

> Every media contains the same layout:
>
> * backports
>  - disabled by default
>
> * backports_testing
>  - disabled by default
>
> * release
>  - disabled by default on nonfree, installer will ask to enable
>    it if it detects hw that need driver/fw from here
>  - disabled by default on tainted, debug_core, debug_nonfree,
>    debug_tainted
>
> * updates
>  - disabled by default on nonfree, installer will ask to enable
>    it if it detects hw that need driver/fw from here
>  - disabled by default on tainted, debug_core, debug_nonfree,
>    debug_tainted
>
> * updates_testing
>  - disabled by default

The Scheme sounds good. One only suggestion from my side, i would enable the
updates once the repositories are enabled.
For Example if I enable the non-free Repos i would like also to get the
Updates for them. or maybe only security fixes and enable the other updates
manually would be ok.

--
Mit freundlichen Grüßen

Greetings