[Mageia-dev] Mirror layout, round two

Daniel Kreuter daniel.kreuter85 at googlemail.com
Wed Dec 1 18:04:48 CET 2010

On 01.12.2010 00:12, Maarten Vanraes wrote:
> Le mardi 30 novembre 2010 11:37:42, Thomas Backlund a écrit :
>>> So, after reading all different opinions here and discussing with
>>> founders, here is the idea:
>>>
>>> We start of with  3 medias: core, nonfree, tainted and 3 debug medias:
>>> debug_core, debug_nonfree, debug_tainted. In order to avoid confusion,
>>> we wont use the name "restricted" as it was used in MDV commercial
>>> products.
>>>
>>> Now all of theese medias will have their 5 submedias: release, updates,
>>> updates_testing, backports, backports_testing.
>>>
>>> That brings us to 30 medias in total :)
>>>
>>> The details of the media layout suggestion is also at the end of this
>>> mail, and at: http://mageia.org/wiki/doku.php?id=mirrors_policy
>>>

>>> Now...
>>>
>>> We wont blindly import every package from cooker, instead  we'll
>>> start off the import with basesystem (as in bootable system with
>>> shell access), compiler and rpm tools (and of course their buildtime
>>> depencies). When all of that is imported and rebuilt, we have a working
>>> buildsystem / base to build from.
>>>
>>> Then we to go on with and start importing X, the different
>>> DE's and every other package needed to build a full distro.
>>>
>>> By doing it this way, we get a clean start, every package rebuilt,
>>> and no old/unmaintained stuff in the beginning.
>>>
>>> Then as more maintainers join, I guess more packages will be imported
>>> from cooker and other sources. And packages can always be requested.
>>>
>>> As for those that want the core/extra split:
>>> We already tried it with main/contrib split. And I know mdv is now
>>> trying to refine what belongs in main or not, but thats for mdv
>>> to work through the "problem" as it wont be an easy task.
>>>
>>> For us I think the best way for now is to start with this suggested
>>> layout, and see if it works well for us. Remember, as Michael pointed
>>> out, this is a community supported distro, and only time will tell how
>>> well the community actually will support their distro.
>>>
>>> Point is, if we later decide this is not working well, we can always
>>> review the decisions and if decided do the split.
>>>
>>> Can we reach an agreement that this is the way to start the distro?

I have one question at your suggestion Thomas.
Mandriva has editions like Mandriva One or Mandriva Free. Will there be
something different or will Mageia use this as a base?

I would prefer that some proprietary firmware will be available such as
the WIFI drivers of Intel (iwlwifi) , which is needed by my wireless
card, without choosing the correct version of Mageia.
These drivers are also available in the kernel right now, so it would be
a possibility to activate them there by default so newer hardware will
work correctly.

Daniel