[Mageia-dev] Mirror layout, round two

Ahmad Samir ahmadsamir3891 at gmail.com
Fri Dec 3 10:45:05 CET 2010

On 2 December 2010 18:43, Michael Scherer <misc at zarb.org> wrote:
> Le jeudi 02 décembre 2010 à 16:26 +0100, Wolfgang Bornath a écrit :
>> 2010/12/2 Anssi Hannula <anssi.hannula at iki.fi>:
>> >
>> > For the record, I'm not a big fan of "tainted" name (too negative), but
>> > I can't think of anything better either, so... :)
>>
>> I agree, as "restricted" may be misleading former Mandriva users, why
>> not "special" or "extra"?
>>
>> I know there is the name "extra" for some other branch but it may be
>> easier to find another name for that one.
>
> That would be misleading to the content of the directory.
>
> What about "limited" ?
> "restrained" ?
> ( restrain, to deprive of liberty , seems like the perfect match )
>

> --
> Michael Scherer

limited and restrained don't sound right as they don't fully convey
the purpose/filtering-rule for packages in that repo....

The kernel uses the word "tainted" when it detects the nvidia
proprietary module for example, (which admittedly gave me a bit of
shock the first time I saw it :)).

>From all the proposed names, I think "tainted" is the best one, as the
packages in there are in a "grey" zone, i.e. not totally illegal
everywhere, but illegal only in some places in the world. And in
reality the existence of a patent doesn't necessarily mean it's
enforceable in a court of law (the only way we'd know for sure is if
someone actually does try to sue)... my 0.02€ worth :)

--
Ahmad Samir