[Mageia-dev] Mirror layout : Why validate software patents ?

Ahmad Samir ahmadsamir3891 at gmail.com
Wed Dec 8 09:58:21 CET 2010

On 8 December 2010 10:51, Wolfgang Bornath <molch.b at googlemail.com> wrote:
> 2010/12/8 andre999 <andr55 at laposte.net>:
>>
>> By presenting a special set of repositories for patent-affected software, we
>> could be seen as justifying these patent sharks.
>> In their minds, why else would be accommodate them ?
>
> Patented software is a reality in some countries. You can't discuss it
> away with logical reason or morale arguments.
>
>> Ok, I think, how many other distros have such repositories.  According to
>> comments on the list : none.
>
> Oh, really? Some (like Mandriva) do not have such a repository because
> they do not distribute such software at all, PLF does that for
> Mandriva. What about Ubuntu? What about Fedora?

For Fedora, being the most legally-challenged distro around, they
don't include any patented software in their official repos at all,
not even mp3 playback is possible in a default install. They even
don't include any non-free stuff, so no nVidia and ATI proprietary
drivers. Fedora users use some 3rd party repos, e.g. RPM Fusion
http://rpmfusion.org/

[...]

--
Ahmad Samir