[Mageia-dev] Mirror layout : Why validate software patents ?

Daniel Kreuter daniel.kreuter85 at googlemail.com
Wed Dec 8 10:48:34 CET 2010

On Wed, Dec 8, 2010 at 9:51 AM, Wolfgang Bornath <molch.b at googlemail.com>wrote:

> Oh, really? Some (like Mandriva) do not have such a repository because
> they do not distribute such software at all, PLF does that for
> Mandriva. What about Ubuntu? What about Fedora?

In Ubuntu you have some patented software in the repos. For example if you
try to install Ubuntu 10.10 you get asked if you want to install some 3rd
party codecs such as the codec for MP3 during the install process!!!
3rd party drivers like the ones from AMD or NVIDIA are included as well as
some firmware drivers (i never got any problems using my hardware, Debian is
more restricted at this point).

--
Mit freundlichen Grüßen

Greetings