[Mageia-dev] Mirror layout

Ahmad Samir ahmadsamir3891 at gmail.com
Fri Dec 10 17:27:17 CET 2010

On 10 December 2010 17:35, Wolfgang Bornath <molch.b at googlemail.com> wrote:
> 2010/12/10 Buchan Milne <bgmilne at multilinks.com>:
>>
>> easyurpmi should not be necessary. Users should not be expected to paste
>> random commands from random sites into a root shell.
>
> Yes, if urpmi were able to switch from one mirror to another one in
> case of any failures or at will of the user if the automatically
> selected mirror is too slow. An issue discussed often enough since
> Mandriva days (also reported as bug). Until this is not solved users
> are sometimes (in germany more often than "some times") forced to use
> such tools like easyurpmi or smarturpmi.

Not necessarily, you can use "Configure media sources..."> File> Add a
specific media mirror; this is the old mirror selection dialogue. A
bit hidden, yes, but the rationale was the the "Add" being the default
is visible, while "Add a specific media mirror" is for advanced users.

As I said before, the MIRRORLIST method in its current incarnation is
a minus not a plus for any user who doesn't have reliable mirrors
geographically-near where he's located :/

--
Ahmad Samir