[Mageia-dev] Drakxnet, drakroam and Draknetcenter : let's fix it or throw it.

Thierry Vignaud thierry.vignaud at gmail.com
Mon Aug 1 15:59:24 CEST 2011

On 1 August 2011 15:29, Thomas Lottmann <skipercooker at gmail.com> wrote:
> The other main issue I see si that Drakxnet is coded in Perl and uses a lot
> of perl scripts, like the drakxtools. This makes it hard to maintain, and to
> improve.

That's just your own POV.
Not the POV of maintainers.

> I know it works fine for several people. Personally, I am often having
> issues because it's disconnects on it's own,

This has nothing to do with drakconnect that don't handle that.
If the network disconnected, that's the issue between the routers,
the network, the kernel, ....

> and no longer sees any networks when it should.

which points to either network issue or kernel driver issue, not drakconnect.

> Then it has difficulty  reconnecting.

Same, reconnecting is the job of dhcp-client, ifplugd and the like.
Not drakconnect's job.

> Windows, Fedora and Ubuntu's wireless tools work absolutely smoothly at my
> school. And now, other people testing Mageia as school are having the same
> issues I have. This is frustrating and I can assure you these home-made
> network tools have to be improved and fixed.

Well, Fedora tool (really NM) has its own bugs.
And I'm pretty sure people who've used MS, Apple or whatever OS/tool
they're used to, have also encountered issues

> If you want to, I can attempt to make a list of the isses and incoherencies
> I find, although they are not hard to see.

Indeed, please just fill in _several_ bugs (one report per issue)
against drakx-net

> But as I mentionned earlier, this
> is a tool that is hard to maintain, and I cannot learn perl right now.

That's just _your_ personnal though, not his maintainer's.
aka "this is a tool that is hard to maintain" really means "you would not be
able to maintain it"

> If NetworkManager is easier to maintain and works fine, then I think it can
> be a better solution. Just offering or trying to find solutions, because
> this tool seriously does not work properly here.

it has its own flaws too...