[Mageia-dev] RM replacement

Colin Guthrie mageia at colin.guthr.ie
Fri Aug 5 00:55:54 CEST 2011

'Twas brillig, and Luis Daniel Lucio Quiroz at 04/08/11 21:26 did gyre
and gimble:
> Helo,
>
> As my experience in security field, to make Mageia more available in enterprise
> environments, and specially those that are security paranoid, i'm planning to
> port SRM.  SRM is a package that does a "secure" file deleting according some
> security standards (i dont remember right now names, i guess it is something
> in NIST, but that doesnt matter really).
>
> My question is, what should be the procedure that when you install srm, then
> the normal rm command could be replaced?  i was thinking in pushing an alias
> but what other alternatives do i have?

Well you could theoretically use alternatives, but I would suspect that
such a fundamental tool as rm would probably be very dangerous to
package in that way (the alternatives scripts themselves may use rm!)

So I think an alias would be best, but it'll only cover users/scripts
calling rm and not general unlinking... It likely won't cover GUIs and
other deletion methods. With that in mind, is it work aliasing rm at all
seeing as it'll only catch a subset of "delete" operations? You wouldn't
want to give a false sense of security after all...

mageia(at)colin.guthr.ie

  Trac Hacker [http://trac.edgewall.org/]