[Mageia-dev] Audio Warning: New PulseAudio test release on the way....

Colin Guthrie mageia at colin.guthr.ie
Fri Aug 5 01:12:50 CEST 2011

'Twas brillig, and Wolfgang Bornath at 03/08/11 14:34 did gyre and gimble:
> 2011/8/3 Colin Guthrie <mageia at colin.guthr.ie>:
>> 'Twas brillig, and Wolfgang Bornath at 03/08/11 11:17 did gyre and gimble:
>>> Just my experiences after todays updates of PA (64-bit):
>>> Right after update everything worked as expected (tested Rhythmbox
>>> (mp3), browser (flash plugin), sound recorder.
>>>
>>> After reboot the same except that the mic does not work anymore.
>>
>> Interesting. Can you supply a "pacmd ls" output after a clean boot (no
>> hotplug)?
>
> After a fresdh boot, nothing attached, internal speaker works,
> internal mic does not work
> --> see pacmd_ls_1.txt
>
>>> Another thing: when I plugin headset the mic and output work, internal
>>> speakers are off. When I unplug the headset, neither mic nor speakers
>>> are working (although the settings in PA configuration are ok). I have
>>> to  restart PA to get back sound. This "plugin, plugout" worked
>>> before.
>>
>> It certainly should. Can you also supply the "pacmd ls" output after
>> this happens so I can compare it to the first one?
>
> Plugged in headset, no sound, neither from internal speakers nor from headset.
> --> see pacmd_ls_2.txt

Hmmm, nothing obvious here....

Can I clarify a few things with you?

By "headset" do you mean an analog one? i.e. two 3.5mm jacks into the
mic and headphone port?

When on headphones does everything work nicely if you switch the profile
to "Analog Headphones" on the sink (via pavucontrol under "Ouput
devices" tab), including volume control? If not then there may be alsa
controls that bypass this functionality (amixer -c0 will likely tell you
- I've seen controls called e.g. "Independent HP"...

	ports:
		analog-output-speaker: Analog Speakers (priority 10000)
		analog-output-headphones: Analog Headphones (priority 9000)
	active port: <analog-output-speaker>

As we do not listen to jack-sense events at all, I've very surprised
that plugging and unplugging a jack should make any difference to PA...
or at least it should make the same difference before as with now...

One way to test:
 pasuspender bash
 aplay -c0 /path/to/wav
  <plugin HP, then unplug.... does it restore to speakers?>
 exit (to get out of the pasuspender shell)

As for the Mic not working, can you change the mic to "Internal
Microphone" in pavucontrol's "Input Devices" tab? Does this now work
with nothing plugged in? When something is plugged in, does it actually
record from that mic or is it still picking things up from the internal
one on your laptop?

Cheers

mageia(at)colin.guthr.ie

  Trac Hacker [http://trac.edgewall.org/]