[Mageia-dev] new samba-squid subpackage proporsal

Maarten Vanraes maarten.vanraes at gmail.com
Fri Aug 5 18:17:15 CEST 2011

Op woensdag 03 augustus 2011 14:01:16 schreef Buchan Milne:
> On Tuesday, 2 August 2011 22:23:24 Maarten Vanraes wrote:
> > Op dinsdag 02 augustus 2011 17:04:41 schreef Buchan Milne:
> > > Samba-common is the right package for this. I see no need to have a
> > > squid- specific subpackage (and then samba-apache, samba-freeradius,
> > > with the same content, or all virtual packages just pulling
> > > samba-common).
> > >
> > > Feel free to mess up your squid package by adding suggests on
> > > samba-common, but since installing the right package is trivially
> > > solved by the admin and is a small portion of the work required, I
> > > would personally prefer not to increase the default footprint of any
> > > installation that pulls in squid.
> >
> > this is really imho an example where conditional suggests could work
> > well: if you have squid already installed and you're installing samba,
> > this subpackage could then be suggested. (and vice versa).
>
> But, it is irrelevant. samba-common is required by both samba-client and
> samba-server, so you can't install samba without getting ntlm_auth.

there is definately a misunderstanding here, conditional suggests are not
usefull for requires, only for suggests

> This is really about whether squid should pull in any pieces of samba by
> default, and could be solved by adding:
> Suggests: samba-common
>
> to squid. But, I don't see much value, as this is a small part of the work
> required to get a single-sign on authentication solution for squid against
> AD. The default squid.conf already has example configs showing that
> ntlm_auth is required, and all we are saving the user is a 'urpmf
> ntlm_auth' and a 'urpmi samba-common'. However, there are many scenarios
> squid can be deployed (e.g. SSO with GSSAPI, basic auth with LDAP, PAM,
> NIS etc., no authentication, peer cache only etc.), and I don't see a
> reason to pull in samba-common by default, when it saves the admin very
> little effort.
>
> Regards,
> Buchan

well if it was in a separate package (and not in samba-common), it would be
interesting to have conditional suggests. because then samba would pull it in;
and squid too, without needing samba if you don't have it.

but, maybe i'm misunderstanding this thread