[Mageia-dev] Planning next meeting

andre999 andr55 at laposte.net
Sat Aug 20 07:02:36 CEST 2011

Florian Hubold a écrit :
> Am 19.08.2011 19:48, schrieb Shlomi Fish:
>> Hi,
>>
>> On Tue, 16 Aug 2011 15:21:22 +0200
>> Anne nicolas<ennael at mageia.org>  wrote:
>>
>>> Hi there
>>>
>>> Back online. We are planning our next meeting for 24th of august, 19h
>>> UTC on #mageia-dev. In between we will work on some burning subjects
>>> (backports incis meetiluded) so that we can take final decisions
>>> during this meeting.
>>>
>>> As usual and as it's a long time we did not have any meeting, you can
>>> propose some topics to be added. We will need a review on current
>>> mentoring (André ?) and secteam (Stew ?).
>>>
>> Well, one thing that had bitten me twice is that with my ATI Radeon
>> HD cards,
>> the Mageia installations from the dual CD were unusable on two computers
>> I tried due to the lack of the "radeon-firmware" package. After I
>> installed
>> that package, and  rebuilt the initrds, then the problems were
>> solved. Still,
>> it didn't look good at all.
>>
>> Is this fact peculiar to the dual CD, and is better in the DVDs or do
>> we not
>> use radeon-firmeware by default globally? I'd like this discussed in
>> the next
>> meeting.
>>
>> Regards,
>>
>>     Shlomi Fish
>>
> I'd like to add another thing to the meeting topics:
> The discussion about non-free / tainted, which lasted really long,
> but AFAICS there is no concensus or decision, and the discussion
> has effectively reached a standstill. My tries to get this going again
> have not succeeded so far.
>
> For reference, have a look at those:
> https://www.mageia.org/pipermail/mageia-dev/2011-July/006382.html
> https://www.mageia.org/pipermail/mageia-dev/2011-July/007001.html
>

> For some people the situation seems really clear, also to me,
> this viewpoint is what tmb expressed in his mail:
> https://www.mageia.org/pipermail/mageia-dev/2011-July/006560.html
>
> But in the end we need a definitive decision.

In the last reference, tmb responded to my post by noting that the
original mirror policy put _all_ packages subject to patents or similar
restrictions in some countries in "tainted".

Since then, I have noticed that packages in non-free are tagged
"non-free" (in the file name), and almost all packages in "tainted" are
tagged "tainted".

So a simple solution, considering that the consensus is to keep a third
repository, is to tag all packages subject to both conditions as both
"non-free" and "tainted".
And leave them in the "tainted" repository.
We could even have a filter to avoid showing "non-free" items in the
"tainted" repo, for those so concerned.
In any case, if we put both tags for such packages, "non-free" would
always show up in the package name (under "revision" in rpmdrake).

BTW, I think it was an excellent idea to tag the packages with their
repo/classification, if not in "core".
(I still think we could have a better name than "tainted", since there
is nothing intrinsically wrong with the packages.)

--
André