[Mageia-dev] %{foo} vs. %foo

Balcaen John mikala at mageia.org
Mon Aug 22 00:43:32 CEST 2011

Le Sunday 21 August 2011 23:16:24 Zé a écrit :
> Hi,
>
> Theres been a private discussion regarding the macro correct layout,
> if %{foo} or %foo.
>
> This rised when in the wiki page
> http://mageia.org/wiki/doku.php?id=kde4_packaging_policy i changed the
> spec layout from %foo into %{foo} to be as a reference point, in wich
> mikala has reverted back to %foo, and this discussion has taken other
> porportions so i would like your opinions regarding this.
>
> I have pointed that for a wiki page should be proper to use %{...} to
> avoid doubts specially in beginners minds, since in some situations
> we need really to use the {} delimitations.
> In wich its recommendation its focused in this cute PDF from redhat
> website:
>
> http://www.redhat.com/promo/summit/2008/downloads/pdf/Wednesday_130pm_
> Tom_Callaway_OSS.pdf
Maybe we can recall the situation & check on *this* SPEC layout where
the %{} is useful ?
We're not even supposed to use macro with - (where indeed the use of %{}
) so as i said before for *our* KDE spec layout & KDE spec layout the
*default* spec should use %foo & not %{foo}, it's of course does not
prevent the use of %{foo} for people but we won't rewrite all specs like
you did for Qt4 just because you want to do it without asking first.

Also could you explain why what was just a minor problem (when you
changed without even asking us our opinion) become suddently a *major*
problem which need suddenly a mail on -dev because i was not agree with
you.

I'm in a general impression that in fact you don't care at all about my
opinion and if i'm not agree with you that's mean i'm just wrong...
Yeah i still remember that you wrote on irc that i'm just too young to
maintain KDE at all, that you're really a *old* packager with *years*
and *years* of packaging, that's you're talking a lot with upstream when
i'm not etc etc ....

Maybe you can still push a little bit more and i'll simply quit since
it's probably what you're looking for since several months...

P.S: yeah i started to have enough now...
--
Balcaen John