[Mageia-dev] Proposal: Deprecate draknetcenter+network init scripts after systemd becomes default.

Colin Guthrie mageia at colin.guthr.ie
Mon Aug 22 11:57:02 CEST 2011

Hello,

This is just a heads up to suggest that we officially adopt a policy of
moving to NetworkManager after systemd becomes our default (and likely
only) init system - i.e. likely for mga3.

As you may know, GNOME is moving towards a systemd user session and
systemd itself is very much aligning itself to be the one true init
system on linux.

I also have it on good authority that many of the features lacking in
NetworkManager (such as bridging configuration) will be available in the
not too distant future and many other more advanced networking features
such as fast-start DHCP, per-interface DNS, 4-8's DNS fallback and
several other nice features will ultimately be possible too.

So with all this in mind, I think the writing is very much on the wall
with regards to the future integration of NetworkManager into the
desktop. I believe we will be able to concentrate our resources better
by going along with the rest of the world in this regard. I have
personally switched to it now (as I do not need advanced features of
draknetcenter et al) as a step towards this.

It would be nice if other users did this to ensure that integration is
suitably up to par.

mageia(at)colin.guthr.ie

  Trac Hacker [http://trac.edgewall.org/]