[Mageia-dev] Proposal: Deprecate draknetcenter+network init scripts after systemd becomes default.

Guillaume Rousse guillomovitch at gmail.com
Tue Aug 23 13:16:32 CEST 2011

On 23/08/2011 12:26, Colin Guthrie wrote:
>> How would removing initscripts support helps enhancing networkmanager
>> integration ?
>
> Because the current philosophy of the Unix legacy is lots of individual
> utils from various packages cobbled together with some glue shell
> scripting code... and it's dying.
>
> The things that these individual tools implement are a few relatively
> simply commands to the kernel and it doesn't make sense to do all this
> in shell. It makes much more sense to do all these jobs in efficient
> code that runs *quickly* without forking hundreds of times. The code is
> still perfectly visible and easily hackable, but now things are much
> more robust and efficient.
Booting faster makes sense on desktops, not on servers. My general
impression in this new trend (systemd, networkmanager, etc...) is the
need to compete with proprietary system (macos, windows) on end-user
segment, at the cost of genericity and simplicity.
--
BOFH excuse #104:

backup tape overwritten with copy of system manager's favourite CD