[Mageia-dev] Proposal: Deprecate draknetcenter+network init scripts after systemd becomes default.

Colin Guthrie mageia at colin.guthr.ie
Thu Aug 25 13:17:51 CEST 2011

'Twas brillig, and Michael Scherer at 24/08/11 10:46 did gyre and gimble:
>> At present, a number of my machines have scripts that hook into the network
>> scripts. For example, one to update the bind forwarders from the DNS IPs
>> returned by pppd when the interface comes up. On another machine, a script
>> that unloads the wireless broadband driver when the interface goes down (I
>> think this modem has buggy firmware). Then, there are the existing scripts
>> shipped in the distribution (e.g. to reload squid).

Just on this point in particular (as Misc has pretty much covered
everything I would say and more!), the need to do this will likely go
away very soon.

I don't know the full ins and outs here but AFAIK, there was/are various
uses of dnsmasq in Network Manager to provide caching DNS (which I
presume is the basic need with bind+forwarders).

In the not too distant future there will be a new resolved that will
slot into nsswitch that will handle DNS lookups much more gracefully
(i.e. basically replacing "dns" module). Combine that with appropriate
caching from nscd and you should be fine generally for caching DNS
lookups and reacting to server changes when moving network around etc.

I don't have all the details here, but this kind of infrastructure will
be a lot simpler and more robust.

Of course there may be need to do the whole bind thing and that, in
itself, should still be possible.

mageia(at)colin.guthr.ie

  Trac Hacker [http://trac.edgewall.org/]