[Mageia-dev] cauldron core/release udev-173-1.mga2

Colin Guthrie mageia at colin.guthr.ie
Thu Aug 25 16:18:50 CEST 2011

'Twas brillig, and Mageia Team at 25/08/11 09:56 did gyre and gimble:
> Name        : udev                         Relocations: (not relocatable)
> Version     : 173                               Vendor: Mageia.Org
> Release     : 1.mga2                        Build Date: Thu Aug 25 10:54:41 2011
> Install Date: (not installed)               Build Host: jonund
> Group       : System/Configuration/Hardware   Source RPM: (none)
> Size        : 745928                           License: GPLv2
> Signature   : (none)
> Packager    : Mageia Team <http://www.mageia.org>
> URL         : ftp://ftp.kernel.org/pub/linux/utils/kernel/hotplug
> Summary     : A userspace implementation of devfs
> Description :
> Udev is an implementation of devfs/devfsd in userspace using sysfs and
> /sbin/hotplug. It requires a 2.6 kernel to run properly.
>
> Like devfs, udev dynamically creates and removes device nodes from /dev/.
> It responds to /sbin/hotplug device events.
>
> misc <misc> 173-1.mga2:
> + Revision: 135235
> - fix description ( rpmlint error )
>
>   + tv <tv>
>     - fix file list
>     - new release
>     - rediff patch 0

So, with the new udev, it seems that udev-acl is removed. This is a step
towards systemd which now handles all the ACL application.

Do we really want this new udev now? If so, then we really need to step
up the systemd integration. Things are mostly working fine for me
without udev-acls, but even with the systemd package as presently
available, I have to edit my /etc/pamd.d/system-auth file to include the
pam_systemd stuff - see my earlier message to this list about that.

This is a *big* change. Do we really want to do that just now? (believe
me I'm all for it, but I suspect the consequences of udev-acl being
removed from udev were not fully appreciated when it was updated).

mageia(at)colin.guthr.ie

  Trac Hacker [http://trac.edgewall.org/]