[Mageia-dev] Status report for Mageia 1 updates, and call for help from you packagers

Remco Rijnders remco at webconquest.com
Thu Aug 25 20:14:45 CEST 2011

On Thu, Aug 25, 2011 at 08:09:26AM -0400, Stew wrote in
<4E563B76.7080300 at gmail.com>:
>On 08/24/2011 08:50 PM, Samuel Verschelde wrote:
>>Hi,
>>
>>I was told that QA Team's work's visibility needs to be improved, so as a team
>>member I'll try to give you some sort of status report.
>
>>- 1 has been validated by QA one month ago, but was assigned to security team
>>following updates policy for security fixes, and got not answer. We have to
>>improve either the policy or the security team here (or both).
>Do you have a pointer to this bug? I'm not finding it in bugzilla.
>I'm not sure what I can do with it once assigned back to secteam,
>aside from write an advisory text. I don't have admin rights to
>release it, etc. (afaik). It was basically my understanding that the
>secteam role is to initiate the bug, provide patches, POC, and
>advisory text and the maintainer do the update and pass it on to QA.
>I've stopped even intiating because they are just sitting there in
>the new/unassigned state. some for 2 months or more now. While a
>shiny new KDE is nice, not pushing updates for published
>vulnerabilities makes us look bad, imho.

I think what we need is a trinity of triage, secteam, and QA to work on
security related things. Triage team will assign or cc the security team
on security related bugs as efficiently as possible, from there security
team will work with the maintainer on the fix and hands it to qa for
(expedited) testing and release.

My personal feeling is that security is too important a thing to leave up
to an individual maintainer or last committer to fix, especially when it
is remotely exploitable. Perhaps make a distinction on the severity of the
security issue?

- If it needs an authenticated user for an exploit to work, assign it to
   the maintainer, Cc security team. If there is no response from the
   maintainer after x days (say 10 or so), security team takes over
   responsibility.

- If it is remotely exploitable and leads to a DoS or take over, security
   team is instantly responsible and Cc's the maintainer on the bug and
   works on a quick update.

In my opinion it is more important to be concerned with the safety of our
users machines than with perhaps stepping on a sour maintainers toes.

Perhaps in the next packagers meeting something like this can be agreed
on? The security team needs to have the needed privileges to quickly
handle security issues the best way it sees fit.

Remmy