[Mageia-dev] Fwd: [Mageia-discuss] PROPOSAL: so, you are already contributor, do you want to be maintainer?

Remco Rijnders remco at webconquest.com
Thu Aug 25 20:27:36 CEST 2011

On Thu, Aug 25, 2011 at 01:35:23PM +0200, Jerome wrote in
<20110825113523.GI14995 at mongueurs.net>:
>On 11/08/24 15:48 -0500, Luis Daniel Lucio Quiroz wrote:
>> e) a top of 70 packages to maintain is a good limit for people, there is no
>> sense people that maintains 500 packages. we call this single poing of
>> failure.
>
>i beg to differ:
>
>    $ mgarepo maintdb get|grep jquelin|wc -l
>    2505
>
>i'm *really* updating those packages by myself, with the help of some
>scripts (i blogged about magpie, and also posted here). and i'm not
>aware of anyone really using perl for dev on mageia to object that i'm
>doing a bad job...
>
>now, kharec is joining me as perl stack maintainer, and i have
>an apprentice willing to join perl maintainance fun as well. so i guess
>it alleviates your spof argument...

I think Luis meant it more as a ball park figure rather than a hard limit.
That is, people should only maintain as many packages as they can actually
manage and not set themselves as maintainer for a package for reasons of
seeing their name in print.

Also, in debian for example it is not easy to become a maintainer as all
of the 'fun' packages are taken already. I don't think we are in such a
luxorious position yet.

Cheers,

Remco