[Mageia-dev] Looking for a Mageia packaging mentor

Olav Vitters olav at vitters.nl
Sat Aug 27 19:07:18 CEST 2011

[ Initially I something similar to this to tombhadAC because he's
  involved with GNOME packaging, but think he's busy as I didn't get a
  response ]

I'd like to join the Mageia packaging team.

I'm interested to help ensure Cauldron
1) has the latest GNOME packages available. Meaning: upgrade the micro
versions. I'm involved in GNOME (sysadmin, release team) and I use
Mageia myself, so that is the reason why I want to help Mageia.
2) possibly add packages from Cooker that are not available in Cauldron
(I'm a *long* time Mandriva/Mandrake user). My main interest is with the
GNOME packages though.

Experience in rpm packaging: Never created a spec file from scratch, but
have often changed existing spec files (minor changes such as version
changes, addition/removing of patches and so on) and sometimes had to
redo a patch (mostly Python; not a C developer). Done that when needed
over the last ~5 years or so across various distributions
(Mandrake/Fedora/RHEL and even a few times .deb on Ubuntu).

Note: My interest is mainly to stay a novice packager. So to help out on
the easy stuff. People in #mageia-dev mentioned that this is fine.

Someone willing to act as a mentor?

If yes, could you arrange the permissions I'd need? My SSH public key is
at http://www.gnome.org/~ovitters/id_rsa.pub and my identity / userid at
Mageia is ovitters.
--
Regards,