[Mageia-dev] Package adoption campaign, 3 months later

Michael Scherer misc at zarb.org
Wed Dec 14 23:19:40 CET 2011

Le samedi 10 décembre 2011 à 12:14 +0100, Samuel Verschelde a écrit :
> You're explaining why having orphan packages is bad and it's hard to disagree,
> but I fail to see why such a mailing list for people who are ready to devote
> some time to orphan packages would make things worse. It's not because it's
> not the ideal solution that it's bad, is it?

Because such a mailling list would just incite people to add package and
never remove them, because "that's not really unmaintained, that's
collectively maintained". Which is just a non sense.

That's how it was in Mandriva, so the proposition is just not helping.

Each time a cleaning was attempted, someone said "but come on, we are
taking care of it collectively, so you cannot remove, it could still
help". And so almost nothing was removed.

I see no reason to think it will be different. Same situation, same
spirit, same users, same outcome.

Either people agree that we should have no orphans, and then the list is
useless, or they think we should keep orphans, and then this is causing
issues. Middle ground ( like "let's keep orphan for X months" ) are just
a variation of the first one, and so we would just be discussing the
duration.

So let's try to make a proposal, if there is a list, after how many
months should a package be removed from the repository if not maintained
( and by maintained, I do not say "not changes or anything", I really
mean "no one listed as maintainer" ) ?

--
Michael Scherer