[Mageia-dev] proposal regarding (packager) mentoring program coordinator

andre999 andr55 at laposte.net
Fri Jul 1 15:48:38 CEST 2011

Anne nicolas a écrit :
> 2011/7/1 andre999<andr55 at laposte.net>:
>> Daniel Kreuter a écrit :

>>> Someone who is only a developer should also have experience with
>>> packaging.
>>
>> True.
>> A developer would (almost always) be packaging their own creations.
>> Often enhancements to upstream software.
>>
>> Thanks for the comment.  I'm including the idea in the wiki page.
>
> Was not exactly what I meant. You cannot expect developpers to package
> his own soft for zillions of distros. But at least you can expect him
> to follow main rules that will help packagers: using Makefile,
> following  FHS...

I was thinking that developers tend to have _some_ experience packaging their
own software - and certainly not usually for many distros.

I hadn't thought about makefile, but I totally agree about FHS.
Reminds me of some discussions I've had in the past with developers who were
very creative with their interpretations of FHS.  But decided to concede to
feedback from myself and (apparently) many others.

You certainly would be more aware of the finer points than myself :)

BTW, my wiki page is going to be pointing to other pages (created by experienced
packagers) with the detailed documentation, so you don't have to worry about my
lack of much packaging experience.
Plus I've done a lot of software-related documentation (in English as well as
French), so my presentation should be ok.

It would somewhat easier if the wiki had a few more features.  Could you tell me
who would be best to talk to about that ?  (I'm not expecting instant
gratification, but giving a little input into the long-term setup.)

Thanks :)
--
André