[Mageia-dev] proposal regarding (packager) mentoring program coordinator

andre999 andr55 at laposte.net
Sat Jul 2 03:02:24 CEST 2011

Samuel Verschelde a écrit :
> Le samedi 2 juillet 2011 01:07:00, Samuel Verschelde a écrit :
[...]
>>> This would be for potential packager apprentices or others to easily
>>> contact all members the mentoring coordinator team.
>>> So one of us can respond quickly, mostly to update our packages_mentoring
>>> wiki page.  (Which will be ready in the next few days.)
>>> We could also use it to discuss among ourselves, which we now do by
>>> private email. So it wouldn't be of general interest.  We wouldn't want
>>> those outside our group responding to messages received, like in a
>>> public mailing list.
>>> (The group might include a few outside our team.)
>>> (It could include mentors, but they will see useful info on our wiki
>>> page.) A restricted-access mailing list should work.
>>
>> I don't think there's a need for restricted access, and it would be
>> opposite to the way we try to do everything in the open.
>>
>> What you need is
>> 1) a way to be contacted directly by those who need (apprentices)
>> 2) a way to discuss within members of the team, but maybe other people too
>> if some want to join the discussion
>>
>> For 1), I think your @mageia.org address once you will get one is
>> sufficient. It's only one means of communication among others (MLs,
>> forums, wiki), so I don't think a group is necessarily needed for that.
>> You can still forward requests you can't handle yourself.
>
> That being said, I have nothing against the use of a group for that, but only
> as a contact e-mail, not for discussion, or only for sensitive discussion
> about specific persons.

That was exactly the purpose -- one contact point !
(Which we can put in various documentation, etc.)
That way if I'm not available -- on holidays, sick or whatever, I could alert
the others to ensure a fast response.  And they could always help out if they
wanted.
And if someone takes my place, it would be a transparent changeover.

Sensitive discussion could happen with the group, but we could use direct
contact as well.
(We've been doing a bit in private setting up, but I see that as mostly
temporary.  Other than sensitive issues, I would see it as mostly coordination
among ourselves.)

Otherwise I would prefer everything in the open.
(And I'm sure the others would agree.)

>> For 2), I don't know what is better :
>> - use an existing mailing list
>> - create a new one

mageia-dev seems good.  We can just try to limit it to a few threads at a time.

>> I think you must try to use direct e-mail among you only when there's a
>> good reason to avoid public discussion. Saying that it's not of general
>> interest is not a good enough reason, I think. Do you have other reasons
>> for wanting a private mailing list ?

Agree totally.  No need.

So in summary, it seems that we should have a group for contacts.
(Say pmentoring-coord at group.mageia.org ?)
And no need to add a mailing list.

>> Best regards
>>
>> Samuel Verschelde