[Mageia-dev] proposal regarding (packager) mentoring program coordinator

andre999 andr55 at laposte.net
Mon Jul 4 08:28:15 CEST 2011

nicolas vigier a écrit :
> On Fri, 01 Jul 2011, andre999 wrote:
>
>> Samuel Verschelde a écrit :
>>> Le samedi 2 juillet 2011 01:07:00, Samuel Verschelde a écrit :

[...]

>>> That being said, I have nothing against the use of a group for that, but only
>>> as a contact e-mail, not for discussion, or only for sensitive discussion
>>> about specific persons.
>>
>> That was exactly the purpose -- one contact point !
>> (Which we can put in various documentation, etc.)
>> That way if I'm not available -- on holidays, sick or whatever, I could
>> alert the others to ensure a fast response.  And they could always help out
>> if they wanted.
>> And if someone takes my place, it would be a transparent changeover.
>
> A public mailing list could be used as contact point. And would allow
> other people to join the team.

I've been reflecting on that, and I agree.
- I was mostly worried about interest in packaging being lost in the noise of
heavy traffic lists like mageia-dev.
- Any confidential/private communication could be handled by direct mail, as now.
- A mailing list would be simpler to administer.

If it were used for the actual mentoring process as well, that wouldn't be a
problem - it's related, and requests to be mentored wouldn't be easily lost.

We had the name packager-mentoring at ... in mind.
So could we have packager-mentoring at ml.mageia.org ?

Thanks :)
--
André