[Mageia-dev] proposal regarding (packager) mentoring program coordinator

andre999 andr55 at laposte.net
Tue Jul 5 02:47:31 CEST 2011

Michael Scherer a écrit :
> Le lundi 04 juillet 2011 à 09:37 +0200, Daniel Kreuter a écrit :
>> On 07/04/2011 08:28 AM, andre999 wrote:
>
>>> We had the name packager-mentoring at ... in mind.
>>> So could we have packager-mentoring at ml.mageia.org ?
>>>
>>> Thanks :)
>>
>> The ML could also be good as direct input for people who like to
>> contribute as packager.
>>
>> As you said in your mail before, the mageia-dev or mageia-discuss ML's
>> are very polulated, so the chances of overreading a mail of someone new
>> could happen very easy.
>
> what do you mean by "overreading" ?
>
>> Having a dedicated ML just for that as entry point for new guys, we can
>> abandon that problem and we won't miss someone.
>
> You would still miss people who post on -dev, forums or irc. So for the
> mentoring team, this mean just more work or at least, it cannot be less
> work.

It shouldn't be more work, just that package mentoring request are more likely
to be more quickly responded to.

> For mentors and people interested in mentoring, that doesn't bring much
> either ( ie, they have to read -dev anyway ).

True, for mentors.
Unless it is also used for the mentoring process itself, in which case a higher
priority could be given to the mentoring list.
Actually, such a list might facilitate the mentoring process, since it wouldn't
be tied to being on line at the same time, as is IRC.  And also apprentices
could read previous mentoring questions and answers.
But of course, a mailing list can't give the advantages of the real-time
response of IRC.

> And that's the same for people interested in packaging, this just mean 2
> lists to follow instead of one ( cause if the goal is to do packages,
> not subscribing to -dev is out of question IMHO ).

I do agree that everyone subscribing to a mentoring list should also subscribe
to -dev.  (I would say likely also to -discuss, as well.)
But the 2 lists would have a different focus.  The -mentoring list would have
more immediate importance to apprentices, and probably/possibly to mentors as well.

> So I do not see how yet another list would really help :/

I had the idea of a contact point that packager mentoring requests could be
directed to, where everyone working with the coordinator could easily monitor.
  Assuming that messages to this contact point could be put it a separate
folder, it would make it easier to ensure that such requests are not lost in
the noise.
If the coordinator is temporarily unavailable (vacation, etc) and doesn't have
Internet access (which for me would likely coincide), others working with the
coordinator could monitor the contact point to ensure a better response.
Maybe that is overkill, since we do now have the packages_mentoring page
adapted for those wanting to become packagers.  But actively assisting
potential mentors making contact is advantageous.

But if a new such mailing list were also used for the mentoring process itself,
that would not detract from it being a useful contact point, so maybe that
would work.

I'm not trying to insist on it, but at least it seems like something we should
consider :)

--
André