[Mageia-dev] Repository question: where do we put non-free+tainted RPMs?

Wolfgang Bornath molch.b at googlemail.com
Wed Jul 6 17:57:02 CEST 2011

2011/7/6 Ahmad Samir <ahmadsamir3891 at gmail.com>:
> On 6 July 2011 14:27, Romain d'Alverny <rdalverny at gmail.com> wrote:

>>> Third point is wrong, "a license that is might be free or open
>>> source", which, I think, means only software with an open source
>>> software License.
>>
>> I understand this as: software that might be free or open source =>
>> can be not free or open source. "might" expressed the possibility, not
>> the requirement. IOW, tainted does not discriminate free and non free
>> software.
>
> It does differentiate; given that Anssi is the one who worked on the
> tainted policy the most, and he doesn't think faac should be in
> tainted, is enough to say that the wording in the wiki needs to
> express our stance on the issue in a clearer way...

The point we made when discussing these issues was:

 - to provide a section where people who only want free software can
have all free software (core)
 - to provide a section where people who want non-free software
(mainly proprietary drivers, plugins, codecs) can have their drivers,
plugins, whatever (non-free)
 - to provide a section where we can put software which may be illegal
to use in certain countries (some codecs, libdvdcss2, etc.), so users
and mirror maintainers in such countries can decide for themselves to
use this or not (tainted)

That's all. Now saying that faac should not be in tainted, where
should it go if not in tainted? How does faac differ to other software
which is in tainted? The only reason it should not be in tainted would
be that we can not distribute it at all.
This brings us back to the core of the discussion what kind of
software Mageia should or should not provide.

--
wobo