[Mageia-dev] PPA-like repos

Colin Guthrie mageia at colin.guthr.ie
Fri Jul 8 12:28:16 CEST 2011

'Twas brillig, and Eugeni Dodonov at 07/07/11 22:38 did gyre and gimble:
> But as for QA, yes, this is true. Probably the best solution for it was
> Meego's one, in the n800 era - when you install something from
> non-official repo it shows a window saying 'You are installing something
> that could break everything, so you are on your own, good luck'. For
> install/update, perhaps it could be solved by adding some new
> installer/updater window which would check of enabled urpmi medias, and
> if there are any non-official one, it could show a warning or something
> like it as well.

I think also the ppa-purge tool is quite useful (I've not used it
myself, just read instructions of it's use) which can aid the "purging"
of a given PPA's packages and the installation of the offical packages
needed to solve any dependency "holes" left behind from uninstalling
packages.

This is still a "power-user" task IMO, but if (especially in the case of
Wayland stuff) only power-users would attempt this.

So while I too accept the QA issue (it's why I've spoken quite strongly
against PPAs in the past), I do accept there are sometimes valid reasons
to use them. If the tools are there to help, most of my concerns can be
mitigated.

Col

PS, nice to see you here Eugeni :)

mageia(at)colin.guthr.ie