[Mageia-dev] Repository question: where do we put non-free+tainted RPMs?

andre999 andr55 at laposte.net
Tue Jul 12 03:41:30 CEST 2011

Wolfgang Bornath a écrit :
> 2011/7/9 andre999<andr55 at laposte.net>:
>> Wolfgang Bornath a écrit :

>>> Yes, if you regard patents not as a criterium for free or non-free
>>> then this division makes sense.

>>> (tainted-free and tainted-non-free).
>>
>> As well, the question of patent claims is a totally hypothetical problem, in
>> almost every country -- including the USA -- for mirrors that carry distros
>> like Mageia.
>> (In the USA, the patent office used to systematically refuse patent claims
>> on software.  And patents are only examined for conflicting US patents
>> before being registered.  Not for the acceptability of the patent itself.)
>>
>> So basically, tainted is for the benefit of those who would like to support
>> software patents.
>
> You say that people who obey to the laws of their country are to blame
> for obeying these laws? That's ridiculous.

It is not at all a question of obeying laws.
A patent is granted to give certain civil rights on the part of the patent
holder, for original developments, that are not obvious from existing
knowledge.  The idea is to encourage innovation by protecting the investments
made by innovators.
Because patents are granted essentially on the basis of not conflicting with
other patents (especially software patents), there is no assurance that a
patent is valid at all.  Patents on software are particularly problematic, as
software is based on logic, and what is obvious from existing knowledge is not
necessarily apparent to those not in the computer field.  It most countries
such patents are denied.
In the USA, patents on software are (at least sometimes) accepted, most patent
claims are not supported by the courts.  In other words, they are not valid.
If you had read the reference, you should have understood that.

> The fact that nobody (in FOSS community) has been called to court yet
> does not mean that the related laws do not exist!
> The Debian paper (Romain linked to) has an answer to the reasons.

Which clearly indicates that the risk is minimal in the countries where such a
risk exists.  According to the report, no cases to date against FOSS software,
distributed by non-commercial entities.  Basically my point.
It also warns against paranoia about patents.
This paranoia seems to me a bit like never crossing a street because one might
get run over by a bus.  Even if one crosses in a marked crosswalk.

> Besides, tainted is not only about patents, it's also about software
> which is illegal in certain countries (like libdvdcss).

Ok, a relatively limited application.

So in all, maybe a handful of packages at most should be in tainted.
So why do we have more than 150 ?

--
André