[Mageia-dev] Python Packaging Policy

philippe makowski makowski.mageia at gmail.com
Tue Jul 12 15:03:46 CEST 2011

Hi,

remember this first draft (http://mageia.org/wiki/doku.php?id=python_policy)
that is still a draft

now we have also Python3 so we really need to write our policy
I see mainly two majors points :

1/ pyc, pyo management
2/ having Python2 and Python3

about 1/ :
it seems that the best would be to package only py (smallest packages)
and having triggers on install and on remove to manage pyc and pyo
(That's in fact the Debian way
(http://www.debian.org/doc/packaging-manuals/python-policy/ch-module_packages.html#s-byte_compilation))

if we go this way, we need someone to write triggers and people to
review all Python packages
(I'm ok to work on that review, for triggers, I have no clue on how to
do, but may be that with some help I could try)

about 2/ :

again we have to review all Python packages to see if they run under
Python3 or not and to package them for Python2 and Python3
(I'm ok to work on that review)
may be that the Fedora policy can help us for that ?:
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Packaging/Python