[Mageia-dev] Repository question: where do we put non-free+tainted RPMs?

andre999 andr55 at laposte.net
Tue Jul 12 22:48:58 CEST 2011

Wolfgang Bornath a écrit :
> 2011/7/12 andre999<andr55 at laposte.net>:
>> Wolfgang Bornath a écrit :

>>> You say that people who obey to the laws of their country are to blame
>>> for obeying these laws? That's ridiculous.
>>
>> It is not at all a question of obeying laws.
>> A patent is granted to give certain civil rights on the part of the patent
>> holder, for original developments, that are not obvious from existing
>> knowledge.  The idea is to encourage innovation by protecting the
>> investments made by innovators.
>> Because patents are granted essentially on the basis of not conflicting with
>> other patents (especially software patents), there is no assurance that a
>> patent is valid at all.  Patents on software are particularly problematic,
>> as software is based on logic, and what is obvious from existing knowledge
>> is not necessarily apparent to those not in the computer field.  It most
>> countries such patents are denied.
>> In the USA, patents on software are (at least sometimes) accepted, most
>> patent claims are not supported by the courts.  In other words, they are not
>> valid.
>> If you had read the reference, you should have understood that.
>>
>>> The fact that nobody (in FOSS community) has been called to court yet
>>> does not mean that the related laws do not exist!
>>> The Debian paper (Romain linked to) has an answer to the reasons.
>>
>> Which clearly indicates that the risk is minimal in the countries where such
>> a risk exists.  According to the report, no cases to date against FOSS
>> software, distributed by non-commercial entities.  Basically my point.
>> It also warns against paranoia about patents.
>> This paranoia seems to me a bit like never crossing a street because one
>> might get run over by a bus.  Even if one crosses in a marked crosswalk.
>>
>>> Besides, tainted is not only about patents, it's also about software
>>> which is illegal in certain countries (like libdvdcss).
>>
>> Ok, a relatively limited application.
>>
>> So in all, maybe a handful of packages at most should be in tainted.
>> So why do we have more than 150 ?
>
> Sorry, but I do not understand your way of thinking. If a law exists
> it exists. It does not matter to a law whether it is likely to be
> enforced. Period.

True.  But patents have nothing to do with enforcing laws.

> This is not paranoia, it is a matter of mind set. If robbery would not
> be prosecuted, would you go out and earn your doe by taking away
> handbags from old ladies? You would not, because it is wrong. For
> those who are living in countries where patents are valid and accepted
> by the law, using a patented software is wrong. So you must accept
> that there are people who would not do it. Telling them how they
> should think about it is not ours. That's why we have the tainted
> repo.

In my mind, this argument misses the concept of software patents.
Firstly, patents are not laws.  They are civil rights granted in exchange for
encouraging innovation.
However patents on software are granted without ensuring that the patents are
valid.  (At least in the USA.)  There is only a check on conflicts with other
patents.  This is easy to understand, as validating patents on software is
quasi-impossible without considerable time and expense.  Which is probably why
most countries do not accept software patents.

Software patents in fact discourage innovation, going against the basic
justification of patents.
In practice, virtually all software patents in the USA are found to be invalid,
when contested in the courts.  Usually a form of costly legal harcelling is
used to extract royalties, from companies with deep pockets.

Note that patents are nothing more than a civil right, akin to trespassing.
So if someone walks up your sidewalk to knock on your door, would you accuse
them of trespassing ?  I doubt it.
And I don't think that I would want to have such a neighbour.
A patent holder is not required to procecute, and in certain cases _not_
procecuting is very much in the interest of the patent holder.
Such as distributors of open source source software, who will tend to spread
the use of the particular functionality referred to by the patent.

For all these reasons, I think that it is much more appropriate to wait to be
approached by the patent holder.
(If not ourselves, then some other distro.)
And if that means that our constrained ("tainted") repos are almost empty,
wouldn't that simplify things ?

---
I noticed that all packages in "tainted" contain ".tainted." in the name.
rsync permits adding the option
--exclude '.tainted.'
to permit excluding such packages if a mirror wants to.

So we could eliminate the "tainted" repos, to facilitate putting packages in
core or non-free as appropriate.
There may have to be a few adjustments to show (or not) the packages tagged
"tainted", but that shouldn't be difficult.
Wouldn't that be easier ?

(At the same time, we could choose a name that doesn't indicate that there is
something intrinsically wrong with the package.)

Regards :)
--
André