[Mageia-dev] [Mageia 2 specifications] Systemd or not systemd

JA Magallón jamagallon at ono.com
Fri Jul 15 00:41:05 CEST 2011

On Thu, 14 Jul 2011 22:26:37 +0100, Colin Guthrie <mageia at colin.guthr.ie> wrote:

> > And finally, what does seems to be the best way of starting to use
> > systemd in cauldron? I have thought on 3 alternatives:
> >  - easy way, only having it packaged, but not
> > providing/obsoleting/conflicting with sysvinit. This way, it will work
> > when kernel is booted with init=/bin/systemd (the least invasive way)
> >  - compatible way (like in Mandriva) - it is available, systemd-sysvinit
> > conflicts with sysvinit, so if someone installs systemd-sysvinit,
> > sysvinit goes away and systemd is run by default. This seems to be the
> > most sane way to me (but I could be biased), and it is easiest one for
> > testing
> >  - ultimate way - systemd provides and obsoletes sysvinit and its
> > goodies. This way, systemd will be the only one (e.g., highlander
> > style). This is how fedora did it if I am not mistaken, but I am not
> > sure if it the best way.
> >
> > So, that's it for now from my part..
>
> I'd like option 2 please! :) It doesn't exclude using option 1 along
> with it (I was doing this for a while), so it's most flexible.

After my tries with mandriva, I vote for the highlander way (option 3).
Systemd was almost working (for me, I suppose that with some more questions
I could have got it working fine), but I always had problems with the mix of
init and systemd scripts. You could disable something with chkconfig,
but systemd still lanunched it, you never knew if you had to disable
something in one place or another, and anyways, it looks like systemd
is not really thought to "disable" services.

So go for all and go systemd only, so problems will be discovered early and
fixed early.

As a side note, this reminds me of the mix of ifplugd and networkmanager.
This was a point I wanted to throw in MGA2 specs: migrate completely to
networkmanager and ditch net_applet and traditional network scripts.
NetworkManger is the only sane way where I can have 5 wifi setups and
system chooses the good one automagically, and connects on boot.
Do you think this is worth a separate thread, or there is no point in
discussion ?

TIA

--
J.A. Magallon <jamagallon()ono!com>     \                 Winter is coming...