[Mageia-dev] new mgarepo version

Michael Scherer misc at zarb.org
Sat Jul 16 03:27:18 CEST 2011

Le mercredi 13 juillet 2011 à 21:31 +0200, Maarten Vanraes a écrit :
> Op woensdag 13 juli 2011 20:46:30 schreef nicolas vigier:
> [...]
> > > Is this process also available for novice packagers?
> >
> > Novice packagers cannot be maintainer. But content of maintdb is
> > also available at this url :
> > http://pkgsubmit.mageia.org/data/maintdb.txt
>
> I would like novices to be allowed to grab maintainership as well for the
> following 3 reasons:
>  - easier as a padawan to check your packages and followup to see which have
> to be updated/backported

Then we should not use maintainership as the only source for such
informations. The tool written by stormi ( madb ) should fill that gap.

>  - the day a padawan gets full packager, he would have to set all the
> packages, and it might not be easy to find them, or even alot of work, if the
> mentor has alot of them

If there is lots of packages, then either the packages are not good
enough, and the mentor should not accept them so the problem should not
exist in practice, or they are good enough, and then the novice should
have become packager sooner.

The goal of novice is not to add lots of packages to become packagers,
but to demonstrate enough knowledge while maintaining them. So I would
rather have a system that discourage adding lots of rpms. Ie, if there
is a incentive to focus on existing rpms, I think we should use it.

>  - bug reports would then be assigned to the mentor instead of the novice,
> which would perhaps give a bit more work towards mentor to notify his novice
> about it.

If the novice disappear, then someone should take care of the packages,
and it should be the mentor. This way, they will not accept random rpms
thinking "this is not my duty to take care".

A novice is not responsible for a package, since he is novice. So the
database should simply reflect that.

And if restricting the access is a way to motivate a novice to finish
his training, then we should simply do it.

Also, having people being listed while not being able to submit will
make the creation of re-assignation rules harder. ( ie, if for example
we say that a package that was not touched by the original maintainer
after X submit is reassigned to the current uploader, stuff like that ).

--
Michael Scherer