[Mageia-dev] Ownership of /usr/share/man/XX, %find_lang --with-man

andre999 andr55 at laposte.net
Sat Jul 16 03:40:21 CEST 2011

Samuel Verschelde a écrit :
> I used the --with-man option of the %find_lang RPM macro, but noticed that it
> adds all /usr/share/man/XX and /usr/share/man/XX/manX directories to the
> package, which, it seems, is bad.
>
> Spturtle noticed that for example /usr/share/man/sr belongs to no other
> package and prefers that it belongs to too much packages than to no package at
> all.
>
> I looked at what fedora does, and it looks like they added all those
> translated manpages dirs to the filesystem package ( see
> http://sophie.zarb.org/explorer/usr/share/man/sr and select fedora )
> It would solve the problem at hand and we could start cleaning wrong
> ownerships, such as those :
> http://sophie.zarb.org/explorer/usr/share/man/fr (select mageia)
>
> What do you think ?
>
> Samuel

Just saw your post, and reflected a bit.
/usr/share/man/man* belongs to filesystem (of course)
On my system, most /usr/share/man/{lang}/man1/ belong to the same 2 packages
(or just one of them).
fr belongs to one more.
sv to none.
So most packages don't take ownership of /usr/share/man/{lang}/man*.
And some do, even after the directory already exists.

Having no owner seems fine to me, and belonging to the filesystem package seems
the only reasonable alternative.
Whatever everyone prefers, and is doable.

Maybe we should use the buildsystem to enforce the chosen option ?
Or just add it to rpmlint-mageia-policy ?

(I'm curious as to what controls this.)
--
André