[Mageia-dev] new mgarepo version

Michael Scherer misc at zarb.org
Sat Jul 16 16:18:50 CEST 2011

Le samedi 16 juillet 2011 à 14:31 +0300, Ahmad Samir a écrit :
> On 16 July 2011 03:02, Michael Scherer <misc at zarb.org> wrote:

> >> Ok, it's moved to updates now.
> >
> > Wasn't it against the policy ( ie, this is neither a bugfix, this is a
> > version update, providing feature ) ?
> >

> That is a bug fix; is there any other way a Mageia packager running
> mga1 can set/unset himself as a maintainer of a package in the
> official Mageia repos?

Yes :
- using cauldron in a vm, a chroot
- backporting by himself the package

Packagers convenience do not seems a reason to bypass our policies.

> That is not a "feature", that's a "basic requirement" in repository
> access and management tool for a distro, that was missing and is now
> available, that warrants an official update, IMHO...

Everybody has a different vision of what is a basic requirement, and the
problem with such reasoning is that we first start to say "this is not a
new feature", and then, someone say "I need to have this in stable and
like $FOO, I think that's a basic requirement, so we should
backport/upgrade".

All packagers should have a cauldron installed somewhere, or that mean
they cannot test any packages or try to reproduce any bugs on it ( ie,
do the job of a package maintainer ).

And so if they do not have, I do not think we should encourage them to
do so.
--
Michael Scherer