[Mageia-dev] After last update net applet shows wrong status

Oliver Burger oliver.bgr at googlemail.com
Sat Jul 16 18:42:31 CEST 2011

2011/7/16 Wolfgang Bornath <molch.b at googlemail.com>:
> 2011/7/16 Oliver Burger <oliver.bgr at googlemail.com>:
>> 2011/7/16 Wolfgang Bornath <molch.b at googlemail.com>:
>>> Confirmed here as well. But it must be related to kernel change.
>>> Booting with previous kernel = wifi works, booting with new kernel =
>>> wifi does not work
>>> (The chip is recognized and I see the available access points but no
>>> connection possible)
>>> See also https://forums.mageia.org/en/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=782
>>
>> I just tried it. After rebooting into Kernel-2.6.38.8 the applet is
>> showing the status correct as online. Everything works.
>>
>> After rebooting into kernel-3.0.0 gain, the applet shows the status as
>> inactive, but wlan works. Since someone mentioned something about
>> suspend, I tried that as well. After resume, there is no change here.
>> The applet shows inactive, but the wlan works.
>
> Wow! I would not think of this! I did not try because the system tells
> me that wifi does not work - one must either have a very sick mind or
> be a Linux user to test it anyway! :)
Your decision :D

To be honest, I wouldn't have tried as well, but I had pidgin opened
and somebody began to chat with me although the applet showed me, I'm
offline...

So I checked with ifconfig, after he convinced me, he was not some
ghost on my motherboard ;-)

So at least here it's only a problem with the applet, not with the wlan itself.

Oliver