[Mageia-dev] kernel 3.0 is a big mistake in cauldron

Colin Guthrie mageia at colin.guthr.ie
Sat Jul 16 22:51:54 CEST 2011

'Twas brillig, and Radu-Cristian FOTESCU at 16/07/11 20:28 did gyre and
gimble:
> 6. "If it ain't broken, don't fix it." Countless examples (y compris KDE4,
> GNOME3, but I'n not going into this), I'll just say SysV
> init/systemd/upstart/whatnot -- I'm not even interested in this crap. It is
> crap for me because:
> i. Booting time is irrelevant for servers, they're 99.99999% up.
> ii. Only stupid desktop users would shutdown when hybernation
> (suspend-to-disk) is available.
> iii. Gaining 10 seconds in boot time is not worthing, if the price is a
> disruptive redesign of the _entire_ init process, with tons of downstream
> work for everyone.

The above statement clearly says "I've only read one feature of systemd"
 and that you don't care about the actual, genuine design reasons for
providing a *much* more robust system for system administrators and
things like upgrading and restarting network services without loosing
ANY connections.

Tracking and controlling the spawned processes adds much greater security.

Booting is only one aspect, and as a sysadmin, I very much appreciate
the additional control I get with a systemd system. It is very relevant
to me in circumstances where boot time is of minor importance.

I can't say I'm surprised that you're jumping to conclusions again and
making up your own reason and justifications as this is exactly how
you've behaved on this list thus far.

mageia(at)colin.guthr.ie

  Trac Hacker [http://trac.edgewall.org/]