[Mageia-dev] kernel 3.0 is a big mistake in cauldron

Colin Guthrie mageia at colin.guthr.ie
Sun Jul 17 00:36:19 CEST 2011

'Twas brillig, and Radu-Cristian FOTESCU at 16/07/11 22:33 did gyre and
gimble:
> I'm not jumping to any conclusion, I'm just not a fan of anything. It's hard
> to find someone working in IT that is not proud of the field -- you too are
> proud. I am working in IT and I don't praise anything. I'm sick of the lack
> of quality in the software field, that's all, and planned or perceived
> obsolescence is one of the causes, unnecessary complexity is another
> one, and there are many more -- mostly cultural and a sign of our ages.
> (Maybe I'm too old and, as an electrical engineer, I remember the times
> when everything that worked was hardware and wired logic at most.)

Of course I'm proud of certain things I've done, but I'm not stupid
enough to think that everything I've touched is perfect or that things
do not need more work. If I thought everything was perfect, I'd stop
stop working on things as there would be nothing left to do. That
doesn't meant I cannot praise anything. The two are not mutually
exclusive as you seem to suggest. I can appreciate good design in a
product, even if it does have bugs or gaps in it's implementation yet to
be filled.

I fully appreciate things need to be fixed in certain areas and I
appreciate the perfectly valid reasons for people wanting to change even
mature and established packages. Just because something is mature
doesn't mean it works in the best or most robust way. Just because
something has been around for while should not make it immune to any
rethinks.

Sick of the lack of quality is perfectly acceptable, but you know what
fixes that? People who care about it actually *working* on it.
Complaining about it doesn't help anyone!

mageia(at)colin.guthr.ie

  Trac Hacker [http://trac.edgewall.org/]