[Mageia-dev] [Mageia 2 specifications] Systemd or not systemd

Michael Scherer misc at zarb.org
Sun Jul 17 09:59:17 CEST 2011

Le samedi 16 juillet 2011 à 16:37 +0200, Olivier Blin a écrit :
> Michael Scherer <misc at zarb.org> writes:
>
> > People on Fedora list were quite reluctant to changes ( to say the least
> > ), and I am pretty sure that someone will hit a unrelated corner case in
> > the last minute. Rtp was not really fond of systemd on arm and embedded
> > system either.
>
> Do you have more details about the issues on arm/embedded?
> How could it be worse than forking our dozens of shell scripts?

It isn't (IMHO), it is better to have systemd (IMHO). But that was a
attempt to make rtp speak on the list ( like speaking of his proposal
about flags ) :)

His point (IIRC) was that adding cgroup to the kernel would have a small
overhead, and big overhead are made of lots of smaller one.

And (maybe) that systemd take ressources all the time, while shell
scripts only take them on boot.

On the other hand, we do not really target specific ultra specific
embedded system for now, so this point may be moot.

--
Michael Scherer