[Mageia-dev] CUDA in Mageia vs compilers

JA Magallón jamagallon at ono.com
Tue Jul 19 18:25:54 CEST 2011

Hi, all...

As everybody else, I want to suggest some things for Mageia.
One is just a simple update request, that could have gone through bugzilla,
but it is closely related to the other...

My suggestions:

- update CUDA to 4.0 (easy)
- (not so easy) As today, CUDA does not work with gcc-4.5 and upwards.
  In madriva there is a gcc42 package, but that has not been imported to
  Mageia, and anyways looks a bit old.
  So in short CUDA is unusable in mageia nowadays.
  What I propose is to have a gcc4 package, that contains the latest
  gcc-4.x.y (currently 4.4.6).
  Then we could setup things in CUDA to use that gcc instead of standard (I
  did it for myself but can try at system level).
  At least c,c++ and fortran would be usefull in that package.

How hard would this be ? How complicated is to have two full compilers+libraries
in a system ? Current gcc is already installed as gcc-4.5.2 and uses
alternatives, but not so fortran and others...
Do you see any other solution ?

Thanks for your attention...

--
J.A. Magallon <jamagallon()ono!com>     \                 Winter is coming...