[Mageia-dev] backports

Maarten Vanraes maarten.vanraes at gmail.com
Mon Jul 25 21:47:24 CEST 2011

Hi,

with regards to backports, users are complaining (they always do) that
backports are taking too long.

on the one hand almost everyone seems to agree that backports should be
"supported" in some way or another... however, noone seems to want to
actuallty put in the time to finalize that. (or at least that's how I see it)

Since afair there is no real consensus, i suggest one of the following
options, or possibly make this a vote, or have packaging team leaders (or
board) decide this:

A. backports are maintainers responsibility

Every backport is tested or untested by maintainers discretion, (s)he decides
how much testing it needs. We could still make a policy that there should be
some tests.

B. well established support like updates

Similar QA like updates.

then there is the matter of submission:

A. We submit all backports from cauldron

B. like updates, there's a separate section for backports

C. backport submission is only allowed from the separate section, not from
cauldron, if you want to backports from cauldron, you need to make the
necessary steps yourself.

personally, i favor B & C; such as i think most of the people wanted; but if
wanted, i can settle for A & B.

If someone from -sysadmin can find the time to make the SVN repos for backports
(and testing), that would be awesome, so we can actually do some testing for
it and get this show on the road.

Maarten (aka AL13N)

PS: i specifically left out updates to backports, as i personally feel that
it's a backport, it just gets a newer release or version.