[Mageia-dev] Updates and 0 release

Colin Guthrie mageia at colin.guthr.ie
Tue Jul 26 18:55:31 CEST 2011

'Twas brillig, and Anssi Hannula at 26/07/11 17:27 did gyre and gimble:
> On 26.07.2011 19:20, Colin Guthrie wrote:
>> 'Twas brillig, and Michael Scherer at 26/07/11 11:40 did gyre and gimble:
>>> If the goal is to be sure that the software is still upgradable, the
>>> whole %mkrel stuff should take care of that.
>>
>> No it doesn't. That only works for one release assuming we do not use
>> subrel with that release. Even with mkrel, we will instantly need to
>> bump the cauldron package as soon as it's used for the first time.
>
> If one does another update (i.e. adds subrel), it should mean that the
> fixes/whatever have been done to the cauldron tree first and thus
> cauldron has 1.0-2.mga1, while mga1 gets 1.0-1.1.mga1.

Assuming it's a fix that's relevant for Cauldron.... it could just be
something that only applies to the previous distro or to rebuild it
against a new lib that's just been updated (i.e. in the wrong order).
It's maybe not too common, but it can happen.

I personally quite like the 0 release thing as it means I can tell at a
glance that something is likely an updated package. I don't think the
"it's pre-release" is a concern overall. Most users probably wouldn't
know of any presumptions or for that matter even notice!

But I'm not super attached to anything, provided it's clear and the
policy linked already by Sander is adapted to accommodate this new rule,
I don't mind using it if it's what everyone wants (tho' I'd rather keep
it given the choice).

mageia(at)colin.guthr.ie

  Trac Hacker [http://trac.edgewall.org/]