[Mageia-dev] shall i import sawmill rpm?

Michael Scherer misc at zarb.org
Wed Jul 27 11:06:05 CEST 2011

Le mercredi 27 juillet 2011 à 11:10 +0300, Thomas Backlund a écrit :
> andre999 skrev 27.7.2011 05:27:
> > David W. Hodgins a écrit :

> >> They understand the mirrors currently have no way of blocking residents of
> >> Cuba, Iran, Iraq, Libya, North Korea or any other country to which the
> >> United
> >> States embargoes goods, or (ii) to the Bosnian Serbs from downloading and
> >> installing the package?
> >
> > That's a provision of the U.S. govt, (followed by the canadian and many other
> > govts), which means that mirrors can't be located in such countries.  But there
> > is nothing to stop residents of those countries from downloading the software,
> > except censorship by various govts.  (Which does happen.)
> > A mirror is not initiating the transfer, and likely has no idea of the real
> > source of the download request.
>

> Which means that _if_ we provide it, it has to go into tainted repo, as
> it's restricted by it's license.

The license just partially reflect the existing export restriction of
the State Departement of the USAs.

As this apply to every exportation ( at least, RH take it seriously, as
well as almost every commercial developers that hired a lawyer to redact
their EULA ), and that mean for example java-1.6.0-sun rpm, should we
move it to tainted, along with firefox ( mozilla foundation is US based
), chromium ( google is US based ), and various RH softwares ( such as
system-config-printer ), or Novell one ( such as mono ) ?

( please note that the GPL has a dedicated section for that, see the
point 8 of the license, so they are not non-free due to that )

--
Michael Scherer