[Mageia-dev] Updates and 0 release

Samuel Verschelde stormi at laposte.net
Wed Jul 27 22:52:00 CEST 2011

Le mercredi 27 juillet 2011 16:59:37, Samuel Verschelde a écrit :
> Le mercredi 27 juillet 2011 12:52:04, Samuel Verschelde a écrit :
> > Le mardi 26 juillet 2011 19:38:30, Samuel Verschelde a écrit :
> > > Le mardi 26 juillet 2011 18:42:05, Michael Scherer a écrit :
> > > [snip]

> > > Very good point, this is a decisive argument to me.

> > > Ok for me provided we put in place the necessary processes to avoid
> > > upgrade problems (Youri::Submit::Test::Precedence for example).

> > > Good point too.

> > > Worse, the backport would be preferred to the update :/
> > >
> > > You should have said all this right from the start rather than assuming
> > > that we would have all these elements in mind :)
> > >
> > > Samuel
> >
> > I suggest we add this point to tonight's meeting topics and that a
> > decision be taken then.
> >
> > Then we would adapt the updates policy and the current packages in
> > updates_testing if the 0 release in updates is abandoned. We must also
> > decide if we continue to use subrels or not (using them could avoid
> > unneeded rebuilds in cauldron when there are packaging bugs in updates).
> >
> > Best regards
> >
> > Samuel
>
> Ok, there will be no meeting tonight, so let's decide it on the ML. Was
> everyone convinced by misc's demonstration and do we agree to stop using
> the 0 release for updates and activate the Youri::Submit::Test::Precedence
> check on submit to prevent higher releases in mageia n than in mageia n+1
> ?
>
> And if yes do we use subrels for subsequent modifications of packages that
> are proper to the mageia 1 branch ?
>
> I vote yes for both questions.
>
> Samuel

Just to make things clear, contrarily as what was said in some of the previous
mails, I was told on IRC by misc and dmorgan that we should always use subrels
for updates.

So this means that, when pushing foo-2-1.mga2 from cauldron to 1/updates, it
will become foo-2-1.1.mga1 and not foo-2-1.mga1

It means also that you will have to bump the release in cauldron in order to
be allowed to submit the update, in that case. But as misc said, it should not
happen very often :
- providing new versions as updates should remain an exception per updates
policy
- if the package in cauldron already has a release > 1, no need to bump it

Hope it's clear.

Best regards

Samuel Verschelde