[Mageia-dev] Switching VT when in GDM causes X11 quit with fatal error.

Colin Guthrie mageia at colin.guthr.ie
Thu Jul 28 13:25:43 CEST 2011

Hi,

I'm not sure what the problem is as I've not had time enough to debug
properly.

Booting with regular init or systemd, if you switch VT to text console
and back again causes X to quit with a fatal error:

[   105.480] (II) AIGLX: Resuming AIGLX clients after VT switch
[   105.480] (WW) intel(0): drmSetMaster failed: Invalid argument
[   105.480] (EE) intel(0): failed to set mode: Permission denied
[   105.480]
Fatal server error:
[   105.480] EnterVT failed for screen 0
[   105.480]
[   105.480]
Please consult the The X.Org Foundation support
         at http://bugs.mageia.org
 for help.
[   105.480] Please also check the log file at "/var/log/Xorg.0.log" for
additional information.
[   105.480]

Now I'm not 100% sure but if I run:
setfacl -m user:gdm:rw- /dev/dri/c*

before switching back then X does not crash. This could just be a simple
race condition - X trying to do fancy DRI stuff before console-kit has
had the chance to change the active session and add the ACL accordingly,
but some other input on this problem is welcome.

Note: systemd doesn't seem to give me a console login - so this is only
with regular init - I presume I need to add a symlink somewhere to get
regular console logins with systemd :) I'll look into that later.

mageia(at)colin.guthr.ie

  Trac Hacker [http://trac.edgewall.org/]