[Mageia-dev] Running X11 apps from the console after exporting DISPLAY

Colin Guthrie mageia at colin.guthr.ie
Thu Jul 28 13:31:01 CEST 2011

Hi,

Not sure when this started happening but I presume it's a deliberate change.

When I login via text console while already running X11, and do: "export
DISPLAY=:0; xeyes", I expect to see some googly eyes on my desktop when
I switch back.

But this doesn't seem to work these days. Is there something I can do to
make this work again? I suspect it's maybe related to not knowing the
path to the X11 socket file or something?

Either way, some hints from those more informed than me are appreciated!

mageia(at)colin.guthr.ie

  Trac Hacker [http://trac.edgewall.org/]