[Mageia-dev] Re Skype Version

Colin Guthrie mageia at colin.guthr.ie
Wed Jun 8 14:34:26 CEST 2011

Hi,

[Friendly request: Please try not to post HTML messages to this list and
also please try to quote properly. As your mail client broke the
threading, and no parts of the original message were quoted, it is very
hard to tell to which message you were replying!!]

'Twas brillig, and brianbailey10 at aol.com at 07/06/11 19:17 did gyre and
gimble:
> Hi, I don't have a problem or issue using Skype, this was a reply to
> someone who was asking what version Skype would work.

Hmm, sorry, the message did not look like a reply. I don't see the
original message there, and there is no "Re: " prefix on the subject...
perhaps this is just your mail client being weird as mentioned above.

> As I said if a
> later version is used which happens to be a beta problems may occur when
> trying to configure the sound and audio devices

What problems do you refer to?

> - bearing in mind Skype
> is a closed source code and I doubt if it's possible to change things
> within Skype!

I'm relatively friendly with some Skype devs and have helped them in the
past with PulseAudio support, so this is not beyond the realms of
possibility.

> I have used Skype for over 5
> years on a daily basis running both under Windows (various versions) and
> Mandriva Linux, and the version I stated works well on my system using
> various USB devices which can be configured via Kmix, the newer beta
>  version appears to have issues in selecting audio devices, I would
> suggest that you download both versions (old and the new beta) and try
> them out.

This is perhaps a misinterpretation of how things should work these
days. Individual applications should generally not "select the audio
devices" themselves but leave it up to a central GUI to do that. When
run with PulseAudio you can use Skype and select which devices you want
to use via the System Settings -> Multimedia device by selecting the
appropriate devices for the "Communications" category. Either that or
you can wait until Skype is running and then use Kmix to move Skypes
streams to the appropriate devices by right clicking on the skype
streams in the Playback or Recording tabs and selecting from the Move...
submenu.

Central GUI to configure all applications. No need to hunt around in
individual applications for strange and hidden configuration options!
Progress!

mageia(at)colin.guthr.ie

  Trac Hacker [http://trac.edgewall.org/]